Re: seems harder than it is

Don't you have to initialize the modem firts?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob T. Kat [mailto:bobkat79@charter.net]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 2:42 PM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: seems harder than it is

Lets say theoretically that you have a modem server, and you wanted that
modem server to dial a number at a certain time of day.  Now lets say
that you wanted it to do this only five day's a week.  Now I see where
cron fits into this but what would be the best way to get the modem to
dial (doesn't have to start ppp, slip or send a fax).  I've tried
sending the modem a command directly:
Echo atdt 9,5555555,,,223 > /dev/ttyR5
That didn't work but then again it's Monday and my mind isn't
functioning properly (yes worse than normal).  Any thoughs???

Bob The (Braindead) Kat

 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more
expected..."