Re: New Computer for Linux OS

yeah you do need to stick with more name brand components

motherboards: abit, asus, msi (had good luck with all 3 brands).  what is
more important is the chipset on the motherboard.  stick with intel, amd, or
via chipsets if you can (i personally run an amd chipset based board with a
pair of athlons)

on a side note with the motherboards, elitegroup has a board out based on
the sis 735 chipset, and so far ive not heard anything bad about it (i sold
a couple, and havent had any problems from them yet).  the board is cheap
and seems to be rather stable (odd for an sis chipset).  also its giving
other chipsets a run for their money in the speed department.

cpu: intel or amd either one, just get a good motherboard to go with it
(motherboard means everything).

video card: this one has been covered, personally i would get a 32meg radeon
or a matrox g450.  if im not mistaken the matrox line is the most well
supported line of video cards for linux, but the ati support isnt bad now
and the drivers are open (unlike nvidia)

hard drive: stay away from seagate unless its a seagate barracuda.  im a fan
of western digital, but others like matrox.  you probably should stick with
one of these 2 brands.

sound card: sblive (as much as i absolutely hate creative labs and their
inability to write decent stable drivers to save their lives)

any keyboard and any mouse will do, stick with ps2 style though, less
trouble usually (unless you just want that usb kb+mouse)

any ide cdrom drive will do: sony, mitsumi, creative

i rather like 3com network cards, but realtek 8139 cards are also well
supported.  im a big fan of netgear fa311 and fa312 but i honestly dont
recall if they are supported under linux or not.

either go with an external modem (if you need one, i use a zoom v.92
external on my dialout internet sharing box, works quite nice) or check
www.linmodem.org (or .com or .net whichever it actually is) for modems to
use.