Re: New Computer for Linux OS

Danny Southard <southarddanny@hotmail.com> inquires:
> I've got an OLD Packard Bell 200 with a whopping 80 MB of RAM (that old RAM
> is expensive) and want to upgrade to a new computer.  I don't want that
> Windows OS, they can keep it, but need advice for a preferred Linux box.
>
> I'd like to stick with HP that has all the cards/devices already
> compatible with Red Hat's HCL--any suggestions?  I'm looking at an HP (all
> preinistalled) with around a 40 GB and 128MB of RAM, running around 1.2 GB
> processor.  Any suggestions?  It doesn't need to be specifically HP, just
> seems to be more abundant (but not necessary more Linux friendly)...

I'd prefer to stay as far away from brand-name stuff as possible because once
you change the OS on it, the warranty usually disappears from the picture.

Uhm... anything at least 1GHz in clock speed and having at least 256MB of RAM
(512MB is recommended, and DDRAM is even better than SDRAM) with a good 20GB+
worth of disk is plenty.  As for sound cards and video cards, the SoundBlaster
Live! 5.1s work well and most everything put out by Nvidia works with their
*coughnotopensourcecough* drivers.  ATI's Radeon 7000-7500 cards (the 8500
without acceleration on the 'svga' driver works too) also work, and mayhaps
even out of the box if configured right.

The box you were talking about might work; it all depends on if the box wants
to lose its installation of Window$ and if you want to break your warranty.  I
could be dillusional, though, and the warranty might just keep itself afloat.

--
Nate Reindl  <<  OTHS Web Mastah  <<  Resident Luser at Large
 '---> email:  reindlnr <bij> apci <punkt> net