Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 19:51:59 -0500
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
From: Richard Fisher <rfisher@apci.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Question

Something to keep in mind in all of the discussions:

a.  Approval for "free" use of the IEEE 802.11b standard for wireless LANS (with a data transfer rate of up to 11 MBps, which rapidly drops with distance, using the 2.45 GHz frequency band)  within the US is given by the US FCC, if the power at the antenna does not exceed 500 milliwatts.  Other nations have differing approval processes and power requirements for private use of this IEEE standard (for example, Germany allows registered use of 802.11b equipment with only 100 milliwatts of power at the antenna, Japan has a power maximum of 10 milliwatts and does not allow individuals to use 802.11b for wireless LANS if the signal goes outside of a building).

b.  As with many overseas countries, the power in Tanzania is probably 240 volts at 50 Hz (cycles per second) instead of the standard in the US of 12 volts at 60 Hz.  Any equipment purchased in the US must meet the foreign power capability or all sorts of  data error problems could exist (if the equipment works at all).

Dick Fisher