From: silug-discuss-owner@silug.org [mailto:silug-discuss-owner@silug.org]On
Behalf Of David Leathers
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 8:21 PM
To: SILUG
Subject: DOS printing on a network

This is off the linux subject but I'll try anyway.  I looked at a friends
computer net work win98 on top of Novell.  he has a dos program that is set
to print to lpt1.  the computer that this program runs on has no local
printer attached to it.  In windows their is a printer at \\hp5si\hp.  he
says they have been able to print from the dos program to \\hp5si\hp in the
past.  I just can't see how this can be done.

In the dos program setup for the printer their are only the option to print
to lpt1 lpt2 lpt3 and a file.  Of course lpt1 can not work as there is no
printer their.  I tried using the print to file and typing in \\hp5si\hp but
that did not work.  My view is that you can not take output from a dos
program and send it to a network printer.  Am I wrong on this or is their
some way to do it?  How could you tell dos where the printer is located?

Thanks