DOS printing on a network

This is off the linux subject but I'll try anyway.  I looked at a friends computer net work win98 on top of Novell.  he has a dos program that is set to print to lpt1.  the computer that this program runs on has no local printer attached to it.  In windows their is a printer at \\hp5si\hp.  he says they have been able to print from the dos program to \\hp5si\hp in the past.  I just can't see how this can be done.

In the dos program setup for the printer their are only the option to print to lpt1 lpt2 lpt3 and a file.  Of course lpt1 can not work as there is no printer their.  I tried using the print to file and typing in \\hp5si\hp but that did not work.  My view is that you can not take output from a dos program and send it to a network printer.  Am I wrong on this or is their some way to do it?  How could you tell dos where the printer is located?

Thanks