Re: Electrical Question

Sorry, I'm gonna answer two posts in one reply, and comment on a third...

But that isnt the issue, it's about lightning.

>Casey
>
>as was already said though, some wireless action would be the way to go
>
>linksys has a wireless access point that can be configured into being a
>wireless ethernet bridge.... :)
That is how I have my Proxim setup, it DHCPs the workstation right from the
same server as the wired clients.

That was the point of the earlier post regarding fiber optic cabling (so
misnamed...), typically, most networking equipment is not made to withstand
any kind of massive electrical surge, whether it be through a lightning
strike, or transformer malfunction or other.  Often, every device with a
direct connection to the first device will also get hit.  Of course, it's
not like fiber optic networking equipment is specially made to withstand
lightning strikes, it's just that fiber optics don't pass electricity, at
all.  Not saying you wont lose a hub, or a NIC, but you wont lose your
network.

>J. Ray

Like Bob said, though, a lot of the damage can be minimized through the use
of UPSs with proper grounding.  If they don't have the surge protected
RJ-45 connections though, they'll be useless when a tree-root grows in to
your underground pipe, and then the tree gets hit by lightning.  You'll
lose at least whatever is on each end of that particular line.  Photo-optic
decouplers can help, but may not be an affordable accessory.

Talking about tree roots growing into pipes...  Some people in Belleville
have a house with the built-into-the-floor heating, what's it called,
radiant heating.  The tree in their front yard got hit by lightning, and
had roots right next to the water supply to the radiant heat system.  They
lost the hallway, living room, and kitchen floors, due to the pipes blowing
apart in the floor from steam build-up.

William

--
William Underwood