Re: Electrical question

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, J. Ray Young` wrote:

> I have an electrical question for the group.  My daughter and son in law are
> missionaries in Tanzania.

Funny, I just finished reading about Tanzania's economy (as witnessed by
PJ O'Rourke).

> system.  They want to connect it to the houses of 2 other missionary
> families with a LAN on cat5e wire.  The runs will be under 200 feet.

Normally, I'd say use fiber for the links (for any runs between houses),
but given the circumstances...

> The house with the satellite equipment is not on the same power transformer
> from the utility company as the other two.
>
> They have measured between 7 and 8 volts between ground and neutral in all
> three houses.

So you're saying that you've got 7-8 volts on the AC lines (I'd probably
find the same at my house, then again , I've never looked).

> Does anyone see any problems with this setup?????   If so what are the
> solutions other than wireless networking.  They have already bought the
> hardware.

Other than fiber, and wireless, this is it.

In terms of the connections between the computers, the AC line voltages
should have no effect.  I think we'd have a hard time networking if we had
ground loop issues between computer systems.

My biggest reason for suggesting fiber between houses is to prevent either
direct or induced voltages from nearby lightening strikes from wiping out
equipment.  Having had a friend that's had to deal with this, the cost of
fiber would have been way less than the cost to replace the switch and all
of the computers connected to said switch.  And that was not a direct
strike.

They should be in good shape.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon