Re: Router Trouble

Hmm.. Well, I'll tell you about the experiences I had when I set mine up...

The router couldn't grab an IP from DHCP unless I did a hard-reset on the
cable modem, because it's DHCP-config denied more than one MAC address.
That is, if you had the windows box hooked up, you couldn't then just hook
up the linux box, unless you did power-off/power-on, on the cable modem.

I CHEATED!
(When I say router, I actually mean a SPARCstation 5 with Solaris 2.6 and
IPFilter)
I set a windows box up, directly attached to the modem,
let it get a DHCP config,
wrote it all down,
turned off the cable modem,
manually configured my router with the same IP information,
switched the modem so it was directly attached to the router,
turned the cable modem back on,
and it all worked perfectly!

For over a year, that is how I had it configured.  I currently do not have
service, else it would still be like that.

YMMV, HTH,
William

--
William Underwood