Re: Router Trouble

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:08:46PM -0500 or thereabouts, Singularity[TF] (Eric Peterson) wrote:
> Oookay.
> My setup:
>
> -LinkSys hub (four ports with seperate Uplink)
> - Two workstations connecting to ports one and two on the hub with IP addys
> of 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3
> - One router feeding from the uplink port and heading towards the cable
> modem (eth0 -- world / eth1 -- internal) with an internal IP of 192.168.0.1
> and an external of whatever Charter's DHCP feels like giving me
> - One Com2I cable modem.
> - A rat's nest of cabling.

Sounds awfully complicated.  What I would recommend is the following: If
you can, dump, the hub, why, the router <probably a four port> will do
the work of the hub... connect the cable modem to the router.  connect
all computers to the router. This has the second benefit in that you do
not need the second NIC on your machine. The router is its own DHCP, so
as your puters come on line, they are assigned an address automatically.
Set the gateway on all puters to 192.168.0.1 so they each can get on the
net.  Now, at least all your puters can ping and talk to each other.
Dump your DCHP daemon in Linux, you don't need it with the router DCHP
going.. It will confuse things... Next go into a browser and get into
your configuration of your router.. Usually just type in
http://192.168.0.1 in your browser to config it... It will probably show
yuu five types of setups for your WAN, or net setup, Static IP address,
dynamic IP address, PPP over ethernet, dial up network, and PPFP.  You
have a dynamic IP address, so pick it, unless you must log on with
paswsord, that is PPP over ethernet, then pick that.. Make sure the
router is setup for DHCP yes, or check it, and log out.  That's it.
Don't forget that when you use DHCP from the router, to un-assign the IP
addresses of your machines, just have the gateway.. What you are doing
now is giving distinct IP addresses, i.e. 192.168.0.2 and 3 to 2
machines now, and running DHCPD on your box...

You are then ready to rock and roll.  Very easy, It eliminates a NIC
card, hub, crazy routing, etc... neat and clean.. Took me 4 minutes to
set up 4 machines this way, only I use hard IP addresses and no DHCP.

--
Best regards,
Gary