Re: Router Trouble

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 08:27:04PM -0500 or thereabouts, Singularity[TF] (Eric Peterson) wrote:
> Alright.  After much deliberation and several changes of hardware (want your P90 back, Nate?), I've decided to actually try to set up a router.  Linux recognizes the two ne2k compatible PCI cards (A LinkSys and a NetGear) and enjoys assigning IP addresses to them.  For testing purposes I pluged eth1 into my home network and started ping-ing around after setting a couple of my (ugh) Windoze boxes to 192.168.0.* addies.  (Exact information:  My computer: 192.168.0.2 / Parents' : 192.168.0.3 / Router : 192.168.0.1 / Netmask for all: 255.255.255.0)  I cannot be pinged on the internal network, nor can I ping.  Granted that the two Windoze boxes cannot ping each other, either.  (sighs)  Anyways, I plugged the crossover cable from the cable modem (another sigh).  I restart (because I can), login as root and /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up.  Then a /sbin/dhcpcd eth0 and I wait...and wait...and wait...and then it dies.  Nothing, no messages, no eth0.  Is my computer stupid, or is the hub stupid, or...yeah?
There is no mention of a gateway here..  All machines, if you want them
to go through the router, must be assigned the router address in the
gateway,... it this case your gateway would be 192.168.0.1

Another thing... If you have assigned all puters with the class C
192.198.0.x static IP addresses, for each machine, then why are you
running DHCP ? In my opinion, on a small network, it is much easier to
assign addresses in etc/hosts and do not run DHCP.  Then, you just
assign the IP address on the window's machines at the TCP/IP of the
router...

--
Best regards,
Gary