Using SSH to run an X app remotely -- yes, I'm already stuck

Okay... I'm dense.

Here's my situation, I have two machines -- "wilma" and "betty".

I want "wilma" to be the server and I want "betty" to be the client.  I have
added a user called "fred" on "wilma".

So... on wilma, I type:
	service sshd start

I should not have to do anything else on "wilma", right?

And on "betty", I connect to "wilma" by typing:
	ssh fred@wilma
(assume "fred" does not require a password).

Then, to start an app, I type (on "betty", which is SSH'ed to "wilma"):
	kword

That's where it falls apart.  I get a message saying that it "Can't open the
display:" (or something like that).

What am I missing?  Is there something I need to type to tell "wilma" to let
"betty" access the X server?  Do I need to START the X server?

Thanks a heap,
Charlie