X server and windows

I've been messing around with linux for about a year now, and have always
done things from the command line interface, but now I want to start working
with X windows.  I only run SSH on my box, and SSH Secure Shell Client says
you can start an X session, but I cat

I can get my X server/windows started on the local machine by typing >>>
startx and everything looks nice a pretty on the screen...

but...

I'm running windows 2000 on a machine on our network and would like to run
an X session on top of windows 2000 from my linux server username.  I would
also like to do this when I'm on the road, to pull up an X session from my
linux box.

Can someone point me in the direction I should start looking because I can't
find any documentation on how to do this.

Thanks

Kyle Krieg