Re: Linux & Wireless networking

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 02:28:49PM -0600, Flood Randy Capt AFCA/TCAA wrote:
> Do you have any reccomendations for better cards or acess points? I
> think I am just looking for the wireless equivelent of a hub.

You can't go wrong with Orinoco (or Agere/Lucent/WaveLAN) Gold cards.
They're reasonably inexpensive these days, and there are two solid
drivers for them in the stock kernel.

Pretty much any access point will do.

> Secondly, is their any special software I need to configure a wireless
> card in Linux? I think I want to use WEP encryption.

I had to fire up VMware to configure my D-Link access point.  I
probably could have configured it under Linux if I had worked at it a
bit, but it was simpler to just install the software under Windows.

I haven't messed with any other access points, so I can't say what's
required to configure them.

Oh, and keep in mind that WEP is essentially worthless.  Your LAN is
not secure if you have an access point plugged into it and passing all
traffic.  It can be made somewhat secure with a little work, but, as
usual, you have to decide if the (small, IMHO) risk is worth much
effort.