Re: More AOL thoughts

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:53:08PM -0600 or thereabouts, Casey Boone wrote:
> > Hi Casey,
> > As soon as I changed from a PII BX chipset to the Asus AV7 mobo, W2K
> > would not recognize anything, would not boot, nothing...
>
> heh, you should have said you went to a via based board :)

> thats the source of your troubles ;}

yah, tell me about it..... Linux was so much easier.

> via cant make a good chipset (migrating from what is arguably the best
> chipset ever made to one made by via... eeewwwwwwwwww ;} )

I had a need for speed. <g> Later, I come to find out that at that time,
the kernels had problems with the southbridge end of things, and later
there was a patch, so it would only run at DMA33.

> seriously though, did you try a reinstall over the top?

In W2K, if you reinstall over the top, it wipes out all programs..
unlike W98.  I did wind up doing a complete fresh install, and am just
about to move linux over altogether on her machine, although SAMBA is
running nicely for file and print server on my RH box. She can use
Win4Lin or VMWare.

> also was the hard drive configuration identical after migrating to the new
> mobo?  i have noticed that 2k sometimes goes nuts when its boot drive isnt
> at the same place as before in the hard drive order

Come to think of it Casey, I think I did put in another HD at that time,

--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought: Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.