Re: looking for a solution...

Check out Darren Reeds' IPFilter package; compiles on most Unix (and maybe Linux, I haven't tried it) platforms, does most of what you asked for, is a great NAT/Firewall/Multicast router, plus has a lifelong guaranteed no-rust blade which will never, ever need re-sharpening.
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/

You should have no problem configuring a box as a transparent router (ala bridge) that will silently pass all packets from the network to the router, while maintaining the stats you are looking for.  If you configure the box with a web server, the IP Accounting package can export the stats into an HTML format, based on a number of items, depending on how you gather your stats within IPFilter.

IP Accounting Package for Darren Reed's IP Filter
http://www2.empnet.com/ipacct/

You can also use IPFilter and IP Accounting in a for the same purposes in a non-switched environment, if you are not interested in setting it up as a firewall/router.

>anyone have any ideas? doesnt have to be OSS or "Free", just needs to be
>reliable

As it happens, IPFilter is available only in source form.  It is recommended  that it be compiled for each system it will be installed on.  Also, there is a support mailing list, on which there are some VERY knowledgeable people.

> Casey

HTH,
William
--