(sonar detected)

Whew!  I'm back.  And I didn't drop a bit
of data; just an operating system.  Oh, well.
My red hat is definitely going into the trash,
now, though.  (It has been a bit over worn
and my wife _is_ getting me a new hat for
Christmas.)

Let me tell you some of the places I've been
and the sights I've seen.

It all started when I wanted to install
ssh to RH 6.1.  I asked about it, read about
it, downloaded it, and installed it.  It
just wouldn't work.  I needed to upgrade
anway, and I had SuSE 7.1 readily available,
so I got this great idea to install SuSE
along with Red Hat (and, ahem, that greedy
guy's OS).  A tri-boot system!

I backed up data.  But, then I had to catch
up on a few other things, first, so then I
backed up again, and, well, had to do something
else, so backed up, again, and, finally,
after a few days I was all caught up and
all backed up.  Well, OK, not _all_ backed
up, but more on that later.

I used Partition Magic to create a new partition
between Wa.., Wa.., that other OS and Red Hat,
taking space from each of them.  Then, I
rebooted Red Hat just to be safe.  Nothing
happened.  Oh, yea, I pushed out Red Hat by
a partition.  Boot Magic must have been
pointing to the new empty parition.  I could
have, I guess, reconfigured Boot Magic, but
instead I merged the new partition with the
Red Hat /boot partition.  I rebooted and
Red Hat puked.  It said some of my directories
were empty. :(  It suggested that I use e2fsck,
which I did.  And it still puked.  OK, so I
told partition magic to put the partitions
back like there were at the start.  It wouldn't
do it with the same sizes in the same places.
So, I laid Red Hat to rest. :(

However, I realized that /home in RH was in
it's own partition.  :)  So, I left it.  I
installed SuSE in the remaining RH partitions.
Now, SuSE has 1,769 programs on 7 CD's--or
on 1 DVD.  Last night, I booted with the
DVD and started the installation of SuSE.
After answering questions I waited about
an hour watching programs being loaded from
the DVD to the hard disk.  Then, I gave up
and went to sleep.  When I woke up this morning,
SuSE was installed.  I brought back my data.
I mounted the old /home partition
as /oldhome.  I used it to copy mail folders
and settings from RH to SuSE, as well as to
copy a couple of things I forgot to back up.

All was well except SuSE didn't start or
configure sendmail for me.  Oh, well, that
just took a couple of more hours.

I didn't panic, or get drunk, or break
anything.  OK, anything besides Red Hat.

Now, what to do next?  Hmmm.

<http://cb0.cs.siu.edu> <chester@langin.com>