Kernel Network drivers and such

> Hello all,
>         While looking through the code base I was once again called upon
> here in teh office to put linux on a sparc.
I still have Slackware 7.0 installed on a headless SS-IPX, no X.  Not too bad,
considering it's 40MHz.

> But enough about this.  Here is the outline of the blurb
> that I am going to be doing.
>
> 1.      A talk about where the kernel driver fits into the Kernel layer model
> 2.      A brief yak about whether or not ot compile into the kernel or to
>         modulize.
> 3.      Why doesn't module foo work with hardware bar?  Aren't they the same?
> 4.      Q&A with my semi-literate ass.
>
> I should be able to answer most of your questions.  Some though will make
> me cranky so be careful.  To who ever wanted this, if you had something else
> in mind tell me now and I will adapt/add to this.
That was me, sorry I haven't replied sooner, I just haven't got on the list,
250 messages a day from SecFocus + plus work related messages is enough for me.
While I am interested in kernel complition (I haven't done any yet.), my
questions were more in line with using built-in drivers to recognize more than
one card of the same type in one machine.  For instance, say I had 3 3COM 3C59X
cards, all set to non-PNP, with hard set resource settings in one machine (I've
 tried it before, and had problems.).  How do we get Linux to recognize that we
 have multiple adapters with the same driver?  (My system at that time was RH
7.0, stock kernel.)

If it is too late to re-work your presentation, I competely understand.
Perhaps I can get a bare install on the system, and bring it to the meeting
tomorrow night, for a little post-meeting playtime.

> Later
>
> Tighe

Thanks,
William