Re: Installing programs

It depends on if you want the app for yourself or others.  Generally
sticking anything in /usr is restricted to root.  Otherwise every user
would drop whatever they want in there.  That could be dangerous.

Usually what I do when I compile a tarball is to blowout the tarball in my
homedir, cd into the dir the tarball creates, read thru the various docs
and see what if any instructions I need to comply with.  Once that's done
(and according to the docs) I'll ./configure and do a make.  If all goes
well I'll then su - to root and then do make install.  That complies with
the general rule of dont do anything as root unless you absolutely need to
be root.

Also, make sure when root to use rmdir unless you know you know you
absolutely need an rm -rf .  rmdir will not blow away the dir if there are
files contained within.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon