Re: ssh

We'll go through it point by point.  :)  I'm bored... sorry.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Sean /The RIMBoy/ wrote:
<SNIP!>

> Well, I guess your not using OpenSSL for your web stuff either.  So it
> goes.

I don't!  :)

> > ssh 3.0.1 with no problems on my other machines.  My problem is having to
> > install 9932402942 libs before I install software when I can install one
> > evil, commercial package in half the time?
>
> Sorry, I'll take the time to install the free package rather than the
> closed package from an arrogant company anyday.  I cannot speak of the
> libs problems you refer to... at least not on that level.

Sorry, I was exagerating.  More annoyed at some other things that require
50 billion libraries to run.  :)  However, ssh is free for non-commercial
use and very easy to install on any machine I've needed to.  I cannot say
the same for OpenSSH/OpenSSL.  Could you explain to me why OpenSSH is
better if both it and SSH are free for use?  Assuming that you do not plan
to do any source modifications.  Most users will not want to do that
anyway..  especially in a non-commercial environment.  Thats the thing
that puzzles me.  Why go to extremes, waste another hour of compile time
and cpu time in order to use software that is open source over software
that is not?

<SNIP!>

> > There is no guarantee that OpenSSH
> > won't have a security hole found tomorrow that SSH Communications server
> > doesn't have.
>
> Yeah, and I seem to recall that SSH Comm's server recently had a
> hole.  The street runs both ways.  Do you want to pay the whiners fee or
> would you rather have Theo at the helm.

I just mean that just because it is an open source project doesn't mean
that it is infallable.  It could just as well be OpenSSH that had that bug
befall it.  Programmers make mistakes...

> As much as I despise him, I'll take Theo at the helm rather than some
> company that complains that the protocal name interfere's with their
> company name.  Sound familiar to anyone?  It's the reason I use Linux /
> Unix rather than some other crappy OS that supposedly had a major release
> today.

Thats their fault.  :)  They should have protected their copyright when it
was first infringed and they would have won.  :)  It was What-his-name's
protocol at first.  He just made the mistake of GPL-ing it.  :)  Oh well.
Back to cursing our government.  The US Government makes me sick.  If you
hadn't read they passed the anti-terrorism bill.  I'll shut up now before
I get suspected of terrorism and the building is stormed by the FBI.

	Lee