Re: Dell stops thread, ms fud, bob 2 cents

forgive, this is long, but i had to throw in my two cents to steves
M$ wrote:
> > Because supportability and integration are so important, Microsoft
> > software and commercially supported software in general help customers
> > where it counts: minimizing total cost of ownership and maximizing
> > business value, making it less expensive for customers over the long
haul.

Steve Pritchard replyed:
> Wow, and it only took how many years for Microsoft to figure this out?

ahh correction, it took them how many years for thier marketing department
to figure this out, they aren't actually doing this, integrating a M$
product into anouther product usaully incurse that the other product bends
over backwards to support M$ 's slightly off stadard idea off things, and
finding usefull support from them is often very difficult

MS wrote:
> > Customers want to have some influence over the direction of their
> > computing platform. The lack of a single owner and well-known decision
> > making process for open source software makes it difficult for customers
> > to influence or guide the direction of features. There is no certainty
> > that in the long term Open Source Software will evolve to meet the
> > changing needs of the customer and the marketplace.

Steves reply:
> Implying, of course, that there is some kind of guarantee that
> proprietary software "will evolve to meet the changing needs of the
> customer".  Yeah, right.  How long did it take for Microsoft to
> include networking support in Windows?  How long after that did it
> take for them to include TCP/IP?  How long after that did it take for
> them to include any basic TCP/IP services?  (Hint: They only did that
> when their monopoly was threatened.)

and of course what i've found from reading the hercules-390 list is that if
you want to do tcp/ip with your mainframe then you have to use linux
underneth the hercules 390 emulator, because windows has a barely
semi-functional tcp stack

M$ wrote:
> > Linux is being used for simple tasks such as file/print and static web
> > page serving. Microsoft customers are using Windows NT Server for
> > demanding, high performance, mission critical applications such as
> > messaging, data warehousing, decision support and e-commerce. Less
heavily
> > loaded systems with less complex software suites have high reliability.

Steves reply:
> Yeah, right.  In a former life, I played NT admin.  Not one of the NT
> boxes that I admin'd was the slightest bit stable, even compared to
> the SCO boxes at the same company.  (I personally think SCO is the
> worst excuse for a Unix that I've ever seen, if that tells you
> anything.)

in my most unfortunate current life I play admin to a win2k box, it has
gotten better than nt, untill i installed the latest service pack, now it
leakes about 40-50 megs of memory to services.exe every 8 or so hours, so in
a week my server says out of memory, now this exact problem was supposed to
be fixed in service pack two (that was fixed and not introduced right),  i
have to agree about the SCO though, really bad un*x

M$ wrote:
> > Four of Microsoft's key OEMs (IBM, Compaq, HP and Data General) now
offer
> > 99.9% uptime guarantees for Windows NT Server, attesting to the high
> > reliability of Windows NT.

Steves reply:
> And the commercial UNIX vendors are into the "5 Nines" (99.999%)
> thing now...  That's a little over 5 minutes of downtime per *year*.
> 99.9% uptime translates to more like 9 hours of downtime per year.
>
> Oh, and I think they do some tricks with failover and such just to get
> to that point...

maybee it's just me but that seems vague enough that it probably say's in
the fine print of the guarantees "99.9% of scheduled uptime", therefore if
you are having problems there response is that you need to schedule more
downtime and reboot the servers more often

MS wrote:
> > Research on SP4 shows that a majority of
> > Microsoft's customers see Windows NT Server as reliable or more reliable
> > than either Netware or UNIX.

more reliable as a doorstop? running MS Exchange? M$ SQL server?  i love how
marketing can compare the reliability of multiple OS's and not list any
specifics, i mean novell is in my opinion the absolute most stable NOS as
long as all you are doing is file sharing, it does file sharing great, we
had a novell 3.0 server that when we shut it down it had 4 years uptime (it
was on a battery backup on a generator), the old 386/33 ran novell great for
what it was doing, and SP4!!!!!! i knew several nt admins at that time who
installed sp4 and everything completely blew appart (I'll be it they were a
friend of my friend so i didn't know them well but i got an ear full on the
SP4 thing) there is no way that SP4 was stable, all of those guys had to do
complete reinstalls and wait for sp5

M$ wrote:
> > Our actual operational uptime for a cadre of over 1100 servers in ITG
with
> > a wide mixture of workloads for a recent six-week period was 99.91%, and
> > almost none of these systems were clustered. Clearly Windows NT is
highly
> > reliable when operated competently on good quality hardware and properly
> > maintained with hot fixes and service packs.

"operational uptime" = key words, usually operational uptime is "scheduled
uptime" or basically we reboot all the servers once every two days and that
doesn't count because thats scheduled and isn't downtime, and i believe we
all know thats the standard initial microsoft answer for every problem

M$ wrote:
> > Linux often uses the catch phrase "built by users for users" but a more
> > realistic restatement is "built by developers for developers." The Linux
> > development community is comprised of technical hobbyists and UNIX
> > enthusiasts whose idea of usability is a good text editor with which to
> > modify configuration files.

i'll take vi any day over bloated graphical utility's when fixing a problem
(i don't think i've ever seen vi blue screen or perform an illeagle
opperation like most of the M$ utils), nothing like trying to fix a
configuration error and not being able to get to the app that changes the
config because the config is causing the system to blow appart (and the app
isn't available in safe mode)

Bob T. Kat

In the beginning the universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded
as a bad move.
  ---- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy ---