Re: Dell stops offering Red Hat on desktops

> Actually, the largest known Linux cluster is NCSA's Platinum, checking in
> at 512 nodes (1024 procs).  That said, 1024 is the next mark to break, and
> several places, including NCSA are working to break that mark.
>
> That said, NCSA's Platinum are IBM's Netfinity servers (1U
> systems).  According to one of the guys, during the shake down they were
> loosing at least a stick of ram a day during testing.  And of course, he
> said, it was always the 1 gig stick, never the 512 meg stick.

I can give a tour of this system (and the rest of our stuff, for that
matter), if anyone is interested.  I'm not terribly familiar with the
gory technical detail of how Platinum works, but it's fun to look at.
:)   We're also building a 512-node Itanium cluster that is pretty
l33t.

mike