Re: Matrox G450 and where to buy a machine locally

> Does anyone have any experience with the Matrox G450 (16MB, DDR) video card
> under RedHat 7.1?  I'm getting a new machine and would like to purchase this
> card with it.  However, the HCL ("Hardware Compatibility List") on RedHat's site
> only lists Matrox cards up to the G400.

I'm running RedHat 6.2, but it should be similar.  You have to
download a new driver from Matrox's site, and then in your XF86Config
file you have to have something like:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "mga"
        VendorName  "Matrox"
        BoardName   "MGA G400 AGP"
        BusID       "PCI:4:0:0"
        Screen  0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card1"
        Driver      "mga"
        VendorName  "Matrox"
        BoardName   "MGA G400 AGP"
        BusID       "PCI:4:0:0"
        Screen  1
EndSection

The "Screen X" lines took me a while to figure out.  XFree86 4.x has a
nice little config thing where you just run:

# XFree86 -configure

and it will generate an XF86Config file.  I then had to doctor that
file to include proper monitor settings and screen settings.  These
work well for me, just as something to compare with:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor3"
        VendorName   "SNY"
        ModelName    "91"