Re: Matrox G450 and where to buy a machine locally

Brune, Charlie said:
> Does anyone have any experience with the Matrox G450 (16MB, DDR) video card
> under RedHat 7.1?  I'm getting a new machine and would like to purchase this
> card with it.  However, the HCL ("Hardware Compatibility List") on RedHat's site
> only lists Matrox cards up to the G400.

Last I heard, the G450 required a binary module from Matrox to
completely work properly.  If that doesn't bother you, go for it.
Otherwise, I hear the ATI Radeon cards are nice & fast...

> I'd like to buy a new computer locally (STL area, within reason). I'm too much
> into instant gratification to do anything mail order.  8-)

FWIW, the company I work for sells systems.  Feel free to email me
off-line or give me a call if you want me to get a quote together for
you.

> I've got to dual-boot it with Windows Me to keep my daughter happy.  8-(

VMware?

> At one of the places in STL they'll sell me:
> -- AMD Athlon Thunder Bird 900
> -- Microstar MS-6195 motherboard

YMMV, but I haven't had very good luck with Microstar motherboards in
the past.

> -- 256 MB DDR RAM

Why stop there?  RAM is cheap.  ;-)

> -- 16MB Matrox G450 DDR, Dual Head video card
> -- Maxtor 60 GB 7200RPM/ATA100 Hard Drive

IBM makes the best hard drives.

> -- Sony CDRW 12*8*32

Bah, get a Lite-on 12x10x32 with BURN-Proof.  They're around $100.  I
can send you a review of them if you'd like.  (I have one in my work
box & at home.)

> -- Sony 52x IDE CD ROM

If you are doing $drive + $burner, why not do a DVD drive?

I'll stop there.  :-)

(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.