Configuration Management (CM) for data centers

Does anyone have any information on Configuration Management (CM) "best
practices" for the HARDWARE in data centers, labs, etc.?

Specifically, I'm looking for how folks track settings on their servers,
firewalls, routers, etc.  I'm guessing that I should probably track items like
the OS version #, hardware configuration (how much RAM, what kind of processor,
how many processors, ...).

For example, I'd like the person who handles my firewalls to be able to tell me
very quickly from a document just what ports are open.  I'd like my router
person to be able to tell me the connection points (probably not the right
term).

(Final requirement:  Walking up to the device and typing a command to see what's
configured/loaded isn't an option.  Long story.)

I sent my request to this mailing list because we appear to have a number of
folks among us who are (or rely on) System Administrators.  CM is an important
aspect to keeping any network alive and well.

Thanks much,
Charlie