Re: A modest proposal

Hello all,

My name is Jim Burke.  I'm new to the group ... attended my first meeting this
week.  I joined the group to meet other local Linux users, share experiences
and provide a framework for mutual assistance with problems - a.k.a.  "doing
cool stuff with Linux"

Our law office is in the process of switching to an entirely Open Source IT
Solution.  We are using "thin clients" and LTSP (www.ltsp.org) to run everyone
from one main server (currently running Red Hat 6.2).  It has been very
challenging to make this work, but I'm already seeing the benefits of using
Open Source solutions.

I'm excited about what we've done in our office with Linux and I want to be a
part of SILUG to learn what other "cool stuff" can be done.

I'm already a part of too many "civic" organizations with committee meetings
and banquet dinners and endless fundraisers ... I realize I may not get a vote
'cause I'm so new to the group, but I really just want to "do cool stuff with
Linux."  I'll even buy the first round at the next happy hour (you do have
happy hours, don't you?).

Lastly, if SILUG does intend to be a more formal entity and seek not-for-profit
status I would be willing to assist if the group wants my help.  I'm an
attorney and a CPA and I focus my practice in business law.  I probably wont be
contributing much on the technical side, but I'd be happy to help were I can
(which is on the legal/accounting side).  If the group decides they need to
become a not-for-profit entity, I'm sure I can be of assistance.  Of course, in
the spirit of Open Source ... I'd be happy to provide any assistance I can at
no cost.

Looking forward doing cool stuff with Linux ...

jburke.